North Carolina Veterans Honored by France [fr]
Consul General Denis Barbet bestowed the Legion of Honor Medal upon 18 WWII veterans from North Carolina on November 11, 2015.
As an expression of France’s eternal gratitude to those who liberated it from oppression from 1944-1945, the Consul General of France to the U.S. Southeast, Denis Barbet bestowed the Legion of Honor upon 18 WWII Veterans from North Carolina during a ceremony in Charlotte, North Carolina on November 11, 2015.
The following veterans received this award in recognition of their courage:
- James S. Howell from Charlotte, NC (Captain, 554th Army Air Force Base Unit)
- Herman W. Stroupe Jr. from Asheville, NC (First Lieutenant, 20th Ferrying Group 558th Army Air Force Base Unit)
- Billy D. Welch from Hendersonville, NC (First Lieutenant, 361st Fighter GP 376 Fighter Squadron)
- Dudley R. Brown from Hendersonville, NC (Technical Sergeant, 1103d Army Air Force Base Unit)
- Charles C. Mills Jr. from Charlotte, NC (Technical Sergeant, 4197th Army Air Force Base Unit)
- Robert W. Sappenfield fromMount Pleasant, SC (Staff Sergeant, Battery “A” 460th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion)
- Edwin M. Braswell from Fayetteville, NC (Staff Sergeant, Squadron “D” 127th Army Air Force Base Unit)
- Robert E. Haynes from Greensboro, NC (Staff Sergeant, 863 Bomb Squadron Army Air Force Station 52, 493 Bomb Group (Heavy))
- James R. Nance from Albemarle, NC (Sergeant, Company E 397th Infantry)
- Dwight Stephenson from Angier, NC (Sergeant, 242nd Infantry Rainbow Division Company G)
- Eugene C. Deibler from Pinehurst, NC (Technician, 4th Grade, Battery A 932nd Field Artillery Battalion)
- James M. Wood from Arden, NC ( Corporal, Company I 23rd Infantry)
- Ray P. Rouse from Kinston, NC (Technician, 5th Grade, Cannon Company 137th Infantry)
- Harold Redding from Kernersville, NC (Seaman 3rd Class, LST 493 Amphibious Force)
- Glenn W. Farrell from Graham, NC (Private First Class, Company I 134th Infantry)
- Harold L. Frank from Mocksville, NC (Private First Class, Medical Detachment Service Command Unit 1489)
- John H. Steinmetz from Raleigh, NC (Private First Class, Service Battery 383rd Field Artillery Battalion)
In addition, Floyd Daugherty Jr. from Landis, NC accepted the medal on behalf of his late father, Floyd Daugherty (Staff Sergeant, Section 6 3705th Base Unit).
Created with flickr slideshow.