Together in Solidarity: Celebrate Bastille Day online [fr]
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, we will not be able to host an in-person event to celebrate France’s national holiday this year. The Embassy of France in the United States and its 10 Consulates have however decided to host a virtual Bastille Day event.
On the morning of July 14, go to the "Bastille Day" special page of the embassy’s website to find exclusive content that will enable us celebrate this event together and pay tribute to all of the French-American solidarity initiatives that have flourished over the last few months and which exemplify our values. There will be chances to win prizes throughout the day: French cheeses, vouchers for French food products and even free access to Ubisoft’s video game "Assassin’s Creed: Unity - Bastille Edition"!
On July 14 at 5:00 p.m., Washington D.C. time, log on to the embassy’s website or to its Facebook page for a livestream, to watch the ambassador’s speech to the French community, the messages from the Consuls, as well as speeches by our special guests, including astronaut Thomas Pesquet, who will speak to us from Houston.
Here are the events scheduled by the Alliance françaises in our region. Numerous restaurants are also organizing special holiday menus. Depending on state and local measures, the businesses propose food and other products via dine in, delivery or take-out.
The following restaurants have a special July 14 menu:
Peachtree City, GA
- On July 14 at 6 p.m., join the Alliance Française of Charlotte to sing the French national anthem and watch a replay of the 2019 fireworks in Paris – remotely. For more information about this event, please visit the website of the Alliance Française
The following businesses have special July 14th menus or products:
Southern Pines, NC
The following restaurant has a special July 14 menu:
- Greenville, SC : Le Petit Croissant
- On July 12 at 2 p.m., the Alliance Française of Knoxville will host a guided walk and discussion of the historic Atlantic coastal town of La Rochelle and its surroundings. To sign up to receive the Zoom link, please visit the Alliance Française’s website
- On July 14 at 6 p.m., the Alliance Française of Nashville will hold its 4th French Fest – virtually. Connect to the event, wearing your best blue-white-red outfit. The best costume will win a prize! For more information, please visit the Alliance Française’s website
- Test your knowledge of the French Revolution with this Quiz! If you need a quick French history refresher, check out the latest episode of the FrancoFiles podcast on the storming of the Bastille.
- Children ages 6 to 12 are invited to participate in a "Draw your July 14th" drawing contest organized by the French Embassy. Drawings, along with the name and age of the young artist, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 12. Prizes will be awarded!
Discover the little-known story of the storming of the Bastille with historian Gary Girod, guest of the French Embassy’s FrancoFiles podcast
Feel free to leave your message in the French Embassy’s Bastille Day Guestbook.
Video: The Republican Guard hoists the colors in honor of the healthcare, civil service and military workers engaged in the fight against COVID-19
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité !